jennifer
This past Sunday we held the Great American Bunny Hunt 2012 at our house.  Cliff and his friends went out like Elmer Fudd looking for wascally wabbits.  They took our dog, who I'll introduce you to in a later post, which is actually a bird dog, but apparently points rabbits and squirrels, too.  They were gone for about an hour, and came back with two rabbits.  I had the house to myself for a minute to catch up on facebook and spend some time with my Kindle.  So, I thought this arrangement was great.  They were enjoying their time and I was enjoying mine.  But, I didn't realize that they had plans for my time when they were done.

So, they dressed the two rabbits they had bagged and brought them in, soaking in salt water.  Then so politely asked me to cook them.  My options were: a) watch the Chiefs game or b) fry rabbits.  I chose the rabbits.

After Googling what I should even do once I got to the kitchen, I set off on a mission.  First, was cutting the meat off into small pieces for frying.  Disgusting.  I kept trying to tell myself that rabbit is a delicacy in some parts of the world.  Surely it is, right?  And I just tried to block from my mind that the first use of my brand new slicing knife from my brand new, nice, cutlery set Christmas gift was on wild game.

Next, I soaked the meat chunks in buttermilk overnight. Apparently, this tenderizes the meat and keeps it moist.  Then breaded them in flour with salt, pepper, and garlic, then fried them up...country style.  After that, I put them in the oven on the lowest setting until the guys were ready to eat.

Here's how they turned out.


Okay, so that's not actually a picture of my fried rabbit because I completely forgot to take one.  This is a photo from georgiapellegrini.com, but I swear mine really did look just like that.

After airing out the house (because I hate the smell after frying something), the guys dug in...and LOVED it.  There were lots of compliments and they even took with them what they didn't eat in the first sitting.  Maybe they were just being nice to my face and dumped the leftovers out the car window as soon as they left, but I'm going to believe that they actually did like it.  

I even tried a teeny-tiny piece and have to admit, it wasn't bad.

Then, by the time dark settled in, they had me dressed in layers with WICK outerwear, my Muck boots, and a .22 rifle.  Before I knew it, I was sitting in the dark, in the snow, in the woods, watching for coyotes while we tried to call them in with a Johnny Stewart electronic caller.  

0 Responses