jennifer
I want to curl up into the fetal position and cry after Googling the sharp shooting pain from my left shoulder. It started after an hour long car ride where I did nothing but sit still and face forward. Google informed me that it’s probably an issue that is most common in people over forty (cue the crying in the fetal position) and after activity such as gardening, tennis or baseball (cue continued crying in the fetal position as I haven’t been doing any of those things, and even if I had, I’m right handed.) I also understood Google to instruct me to wait a week before calling the doctor.
I won’t drone on about how difficult it is to manage a one year old little boy that is always go-go-going on a day when both of my arms work, {This week he figured out how to climb onto the seat of the couch, then move to the arm of the couch and stand up in order to climb over the back of the couch. Yeah, he’s only been on this earth for thirteen months. What are we in for after he’s been here for thirteen years?!} but you can probably imagine what it’s like to try to do it with one arm held to your side by an elastic bandage over an ice pack. I’ve been walking around the house for two days looking like I just pitched seven innings of a major league baseball game minus the bubble gum, and sunflower seeds, and chewing tobacco…and the muscles, minus the muscles. I have been wearing my pants tucked into knee-length socks though.
You realize just how much you’ve taken your non-dominant hand for granted when you can’t raise it more than about 25 degrees. And although I’ve somehow compensated for pretty much everything else, the one thing I can’t seem to get by doing one handed is fixing my hair. I love a good ponytail at the end of the day (or all day most days anymore), but I almost passed out from pain as I attempted it this evening. So, I called my husband in to help.
First I asked if he even knew how to put hair into a ponytail. He laughed and looked at me like I had asked him if he knew how to spell his own name. But really, I still think that’s a very valid question! He started by grabbing the rubberband and then gathering my hair while standing face to face with me. I eventually convinced him to stand behind me, facing the back of my head. He again gathered my hair and started to put it into the rubberband. Part of the left side fell out of the ponytail, and he couldn’t really understand why that wasn’t satisfactory. But, he tried again anyway. This time he asked if the bottom half of my hair really needed to be included in the ponytail. He tried a fourth time and the picture below is what we ended up with. Just after this picture, my favorite part occurred. He decided it needed to be tightened and rather than pulling two halves of the ponytail out to the sides like I would do, he rolled the rubberband closer to my head like you would push a rubberband onto a rolled up poster.
So, this is the best of four attempts. But I’m just happy to have him to do it. And it still looks better than the ice pack that he elastic bandaged to my arm.
image
0 Responses