jennifer
My husband has an outlandish fascination with trying to sit at the opposite end of the “I am an attorney” spectrum.  For example, at the office and in court, I always think he is the best dressed, most professional and absolute smartest; but the second we are off the clock, he is wearing hickory stripe bib overalls and proudly driving around a 1986 poop brown Nissan truck.  Along those lines, the 1986 poop brown Nissan truck, which I’ve deemed the “trophy truck” and “show truck” is not the only auto beauty we have sitting around.  Until recently, we also had a 1988 red Ford truck gracing our property.  Of course, neither of these vehicles made the cut to be inside the garage, so they sat out for all passer-bys to see.
We finally found a used Chevy Silverado for sale and upgraded.  (I used to be all about brand new cars, and although I do love being the only owner of my Jeep, these used cars that are purchased in one transaction with no monthly car payment are my new best friend.)  Part of our agreement in buying the Silverado was that the Ford truck had to go.
We thought we’d throw it on Craigslist and try to get a few hundred dollars out of it.  After all, it did run and drive well and if nothing else, someone might want it for parts.  Everyone we talked to thought we could get at least one thousand dollars out of it just because it started and ran.  We decided to list it for only $600 though, hopefully giving the right person a bargain.
I don’t know if you’ve ever listed a junky truck for sale online.  If not, DON’T do it.  Oh.  My.  Gosh.  You would not believe the calls you get.  We used my cell phone number so I was fielding all of the contacts.  After six different people no-showed, being asked to deliver the truck to a buyer two hours away, and getting lowballed by every single person interested, I was ready to give up.
Just then, a text came through.  ”Would you be interested in trading your truck for a boat?”
My gut told me no, but my sun, sand, and water-loving brain told me YES.  So I asked the guy what kind of boat he had.
“A 1954 Bayliner with an inboard motor.”
WHAT?!?  Um, yes, please.  This is what I imagined in my head.
1954 boat
Then, he sent another text.  ”The motor is locked up and it needs a little work.”
My husband brought me down to earth and explained that what I was really trading for was this:
rusty boat
So, I’m out of the buy, sell, trade market for good.
0 Responses