jennifer
Two Fridays ago, we celebrated my birthday.  You can read about it here, if you haven't already.
This past Friday, was Cliff's birthday, so we had another day of celebration. 
And it was SO different from mine.
I got up with Finley at 6:30am so that Cliff could sleep in.  He had joined us by 7:00 though, and truly considered that "sleeping in."  He wanted to go out for breakfast (and I'm all for that!) and stop by a nursery to buy our garden plants.  So we loaded up and headed out.  As we were driving down the highway and I was straining to keep my eyelids open, I noticed the sun wasn't even really all the way up yet.  I laughed at how different we are in the sleep and early-bird-getting-the-worm areas of life.  After we ate, we walked around the greenhouse and picked out our plants.  This was Finley's favorite part of the day because he got to push the cart with big wheels.
We played at the park for awhile. So maybe this was Finley's favorite part of the day.  Especially because of the things the birthday guy will do for his kiddo. 

We got home and all crawled under the covers for a nap.  This was my favorite part of the day.  
I really slept hard and woke up thinking I was waking up for the first time that day.  I looked at my watch and saw it was 11:30am and catapulted out of bed.  As I realized we had all taken a nap and I was just waking upfront that, I felt relief knowing I hadn't completely ruined Cliff's birthday.  At least not yet.
After the naps, we loaded back up and went to Brunswick for lunch at The Railyard.  Yum.  
After lunch, we drove through Dalton, population 17.  No joke.  If you don't believe me:

Dalton is a little hidden history rarity.  The little jail from 1898 is still standing.

Dalton is home to the Dalton Vocational School, originally the Barlett Agricultural and Industrial School, also referred to as the "Tuskegee of the Midwest" or "Missouri Tuskegee".  It was started by a student of Booker T. Washington. The school had a model farm home, trade shop, and hog and poultry houses. Eventually the campus expanded to over 100 acres.  It was an all black college. Black students from a relatively wide geographical area were bussed to Dalton where they studied agriculture, industrial arts, and home economics.  The fact that it was a hog house really played out because in recent years, the mayor housed his hogs in it.  Therefore, it's no longer much of a site to see.  Sad face.
Dalton is all bottom ground along the Missouri River.  The last time I saw land sell there, it literally went for $15,000 per ACRE!  It's some serious farm ground.  Most of what was there was washed away in the flood of 1993.  Sad face. 
The "Dalton Cut-Off" is a body of water between the Missouri River and the Chariton River.  I might be wrong, but my understanding is that it used to be the Missouri River, but as the river changed course and moved, it is now just more of a lake.  Apparently, Lewis & Clark camped there.  And a movie about Tom Sawyer was filmed there in the 70s.  And we fished there. This was Cliff's favorite part of the day.

Fishing with me is like fishing with a child.  After three casts with no catch, I was bored and pretty much done.  To entertain myself, I tried to cast in a different part of the water.  My lure ended up on the other side caught in a bunch of rocks and Cliff had to get it out for me.  While he was doing that, a fish ate the worm off his pole and got away.   It was pretty much back and forth like that the whole time--he'd fix one problem for me just in time to fix my next problem.  He did get to use his cast net and caught several minnows with it.  Finley slept in the truck the whole time and totally missed all the action. 


When we got home, Cliff loaded up his dogs and got to go to a competition hunt.  He won best of show male and best of show female, and got to hunt until 1:00am.  The weather was beautiful all day. 
Regardless of how different our birthday celebration requests were, we all three enjoyed both days one hundred percent.  Happy face.

0 Responses